Thursday, October 8, 2009

Reporting from Tok

Travel Log.

Didn't make it out of Delta J until mid-afternoon but still made it to camp just south of the Black Soldiers Memorial bridge over the Gertsle R. at Mile 1393. About 43 miles in all, and mostly flat. A quarter mile walk to the river for water. That's my biggest necessity, two quarts of warm boiled water in my day pack. Long stretches without water but late in day made it to a camp just the south side of the bridge. The most pleasant surprise of the day was Heather Koponen stopping to say hello on her way back from Dot Lake. She is a traveling nurse and saw me peddling away. Her wagon had tell tale bumper stickers which look familiar until she exited the car.

In early AM, like 0300 I heard birds calling overhead, not Canada geese, most likely whitefronts although unconfirmed. No visible road carnage heading south. Walked four steep grades in PM. Maybe I will get in shape and can sail over them. They are a welcome break from flat ass syndrome I am experiencing. At one point I saw written in tar the word awesome, it made my day and brought a smile. Camped at Mile 1397 just south of the Robertson R. bridge on an access road. A mile hike down to the river for water with some bushwhacking but seeing back lit cotton grass on the river flats highlighted by the low angle sun was worth the scramble. Rain ended in early AM and had sun by afternoon. Heard more high flying geese, above clouds that rolled in. Front moved through with wind overnight. In AM was overcast but no rain. Closer to Tok the grade flattened and I arrived in early afternoon, Flock of distant swans and a vee of whitefronts heading south seen just after the last of the hills into Tok about mile 1325.

Stopped by Tetlin Refuge office to see if Tony Booth, Refuge Manager was in. Knew him from former work. He was away but met Connie Friend, knows Sean, and knew Bill Fuller and visits Nancy. She's a Refuge Info. Tech.dealing with native issues. I was looking for a computer to update my blog and asked whether the local library had one. They did and I worked there until 1700 and closing.

Connie was kind enough to offer a place to stay if I didn't make it out of town. I didn't. It was great to regroup and visit with her at her home Picked up a care package of food mailed to myself care of the local PO.

If anyone finds a beloved and cuddly box turtle in the area near her house she is anxious to have her back, named Ashi for ancestor. Escaped in July from her cage abetted by Connie's cat, maybe. Don't think of these animals as affectionate but this one was with its own personality she said.

Early PM, still in Tok trying to finish this and head out of town. Light rain and colder. Did not sleep well last night, a little too warm perhaps. Mailed left over food down the Highway for a later rendezvous. Carrying about 10 days worth of groceries. Load close to 70 pounds the BOB limit. Take all of that I imagine.

A joy to make new friends along the way but that is how my summer has gone. The people I need to help me in the journey show up when most needed. You can't give selflessly without also receiving. That's the way things work in my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment