Friday, January 15, 2010

On the road from Portland 1/15/10

PR Stopped for a tamale and burrito break at a taqaria outside Centralia, WA.

F - Where's that?

PR - It's on the Cascade Bicycle Club, Seattle to Portland Trail (STP) about 100 miles south. Went through there last Sat.

I'm in Portland now since Tuesday late, 1/12/10. Everything going okay here, great contacts, good folk. Connected with 350. org and Bicycle Transportation Authority.

What follows came to me passing all those rural methane "pies" or was it the tamale burrito combo?

F - (Joe) There are those that know him well,
That would have this to tell,
He is prone to put his thoughts in verse,
Just hope and pray he keeps them terse.

PR - As I was saying,
While you were praying,
Some things just need defining,
A perception worth refining.
About the "tube,"
And the gazer, grazer some have called a "boob,"

In this important matter,
Let us ponder well the latter,
The one distracted,
With mind redacted.

This moment's grace,
Heaven's only space,
Lost to the eternal Now.

F - (Joe) Holy cow!!
You mean me?
Pray that I may clearly see.
What I must do?

Yes, YES!!
A clue? A clue???
EUREKA, CSI
More GLUE!!!

F - American TV, Crime Scene Investigation (CSI), must have been the "combo." Any more words of "wisdom" from the STP?

PR - Did I tell you I met Chairman Meow? He's the owner and boss of Paul and Sheila Johnson. A wild tabby that came in from the cold with a hungry yowl. The Chairman rules. He let me stay a night after Paul graciously went out of his way to picked me up in Tenino on the STP south of Centralia/Chehelis.

F - Where'd you bed down after that?

PR - I crossed into Oregon over the busy Lewis and Clark bridge after a long day. Stopped at a mini-mart to call ahead just short of Ranier town on Highway 30.

Where to camp afterward the big question? I looked over toward this high arching bridge, Golden Gate like, spotted a clump of evergreens near the base. Check it out I thought. So I did. But behind the trees was an Oregon DOT waste debris site. Yuck!

F - So what'd you do?

PR - I pedaled back from where I came looking. I passed a vacant lot with two big evergreens growing pretty close together, the rest was open space, unoccupied. One was a Douglas fir with wide spreading boughs, open underneath. Hmm, level, dry and unoccupied. I went next door and asked about it. Got permission to camp a night. Great place on a bed of needles. Loved it.

Stormed through the night with wind and rain. It ended sometime late. The tent partially dried in the lingering breeze. The needles sopped up a lot of the rain, didn't come in under the tent. I was happy, no morning swim inside the tent.

A lot of traffic noise from the bridge though. A train rumbled by in the wee hours on nearby tracks. You can't be too picky when it comes camp time, you're tired and eager to get prone for awhile.
F- So you're in Portland now?

PR - Yeah! I hope I have time to write a bit more about it. But it's already late and I was up early. Time to hit the rack, meditate and get prone for awhile. I did finally get a cell phone. That should be a relief to many friends. Later!

F - Later!

Viajero por la Paz.

No comments:

Post a Comment