Friday, December 21, 2012

Peace Rider On The Road Again


Hi Lois,

Nice to see a note from you pop up on the screen, a reminder to me to say hello and post on the blog.  

I'm now relaunched in another place arriving Cancun the day before yesterday with bicycle.  Took me a couple of hours to put it together and head down the road toward Morelos south of Cancun about 10 miles.  Stayed with an artist there a couple of times in the course of the Peoples Climate Summit.  Renato was not at home when I showed up but one of the workers there gave me the okay to stay when I explained my connection.

Pitched my tent and crawled in when the mosquitoes came out at nightfall.  Boy was it muggy humid.  I just lay on my pad with only my swim suit on for a long while.  But it cooled off later.  Put on a shirt then towards morning  a light cover.

The next day I wasn't moving fast and got off to a late start or probably just in time southbound for Playa del Carmen as a next stop.  By this time the sun was up, hot and I'm sweating like crazy.  Right around noon I arrived at Playa and tried to call my friend there but only got a message that the phone was disconnected.  I forgot to transfer his street address to my new book.  Oh well, kept going south to Akumal to another friends place where I stayed before.  I was camped next to Nancy de Rosa for the PCS.  She has a  bar and places for rent on the beach, lovely spot. 

But getting here didn't remember the exact turnoff and go down three false trails before finding the right one.  So here today at her place Villas de Rosa and using her computer.  Feet in the sand at sunrise on the beach.  A beach bum yellow lab was on the beach in the evening.  I would throw an unhusked coconut into the surf and he would retrieve it.  If I didn't throw it in he would paw it back into the water, watch it roll back and forth then grab it, haul it back up on the beach and then repeat the game.  

Today, shortly after I finish this will pedal a short way down the road to Gabriel's place, a Maya elder I met at the same time as Nancy.  Two years ago I showed up at his place,  as it happened, on the same day 12/21 but then not aware of what day it was.  Anyway, he has just a sweet spot in the jungle, a community actually, with a gem of a cenote or spring on his finca or farm.  It's perfect for cooling off during the heat of the day.  

So excited to be here, don't know what will happen but then if I did it would spoil the fun of discovery.  Could be the end of the world as we know it, not a physical end but a change in perception and evolution of consciousness.  In fact this seems to be happening and a thing I have mention on the blog. 

Learned that because of the Maya connection a lot of celebrations will be going on at different ruin sites Tulum and Chichen Itza two I know about.  A big music festival at the latter, not sure at the former.  May visit one or both while I'm here but not sure when.  Probably spend Christmas at Gabriel's place but will see where the winds launch me.

Nancy has an organization called SAVE.  You can check it out on the web.  Shes been involved in trying to save the mangroves along the coast and turtle nesting beaches.  But it's been tough going against developers with deep pockets and money to spread around.

Had a wonderful time with the Warrens in Miami.  First stayed with them on way to PCS.  Their young daughter, Natalie,  now out of St. Olafs is trying to start a business in Minnesota to reconnect young women with nature.  A worthy effort.  Connected with her, home for Christmas, just before leaving for Mexico.

About all the news for now

Feliz Navidad y Ano Nuevo, peace, love and joy to all.

Palante, onward,

Don 







No comments:

Post a Comment