Monday, May 27, 2013

On the road from Homer, AK 5/27/2013

Dear Friends,

I had a wonderful final day (Saturday) in Homer.  I joined Kayla in the children's garden on the opening day of the local Farmers Market.  We hung the Love is the Way banner up.  Later took it down and let any of the children who wanted to put their painted paw prints on the back with their names.  I also took to having other friends involved with this project sign the back.  The result is another free form work of art on the reverse side.

From there I rode out onto the Spit and joined my new friends with the Center for Alaska Coastal  Studies (CACS) there for a beach bonfire.  There were lots of Memorial Weekend visitors but only the CACS folks showed for my send off.  It made for a quite relaxed and enjoyable gathering on a windy but gloriously clear day.  Photos were taken and a short video made which can be seen soon on the CACS site and Facebook page. 

I said my goodbyes to Pat, at his Free Spirit Wear shop near the Farmers Market.  He helped me greatly when I first set out on these long distance bike rides with very little experience of the gear I would need.  He sent me off this time with a bandana with the same color coordinated motif as my jacket making me now the well "appointed" and rather colorful biker.

I joined my friends Tom, Jeanie, and their friend Phil for a memorable last dinner of moose steak and conversation before heading back up the hill to Peggy and Rich's place for the night.  They too signed the banner along with a new young friend Tina who wished me a warm and heartfelt "Infinite quantity of love and light" on my journey.  It gives me a lot of hope that many young people are far along in their understandings of who and what they are and desire to be of service to others. 

By returning to the top of the hill out of Homer for the evening I saved some energy for the long day ahead.  Sunday I was on the road by 9:00AM.  Eight hours later I was at Chris and Jane's place on a bluff overlooking Cook Inlet a few miles south of the city of Kenai.  It was overcast most of the day.  A light rain began before I pulled into their drive but not heavy enough to compel a change into rain gear. 

A little later this morning we'll head into Kenai with the banner we hope to hang in a local park as part of Memorial Day ceremonies honoring veterans.  Appropriate for me to be there as a veteran honoring others who have served.

A word or two on why I chose "Love is the Way" for the banner.  There are iconic images of the Challenger and Columbia crews who passed when their shuttles broke apart.  It was my sense that this might be what they would be saying to all of us from their different vantage point.  But why Love.  Love is one, if not the most powerful energy in our Universe.  It is a coherent energy or vibration with the power to unify and transform as well as drive out incoherent energy of lesser vibration anger, hate, envy and the like.  It is the only thing that can.  In these chaotic days hold Love, Joy and hope in your heart as the common work all of us can do to cause the necessary changes to ring in a New Heaven and New Earth.  We are all connected energetically.  Cling to what you know works.  Love and joy work for the betterment of all.  It is the energy the heals and unites as no other can.

I leave tomorrow for points north.  The front passed and today we can see across the inlet, only a light breeze stiring the water.  An immature eagle just flew by at eye level.

Catch you all down the road, love and light to you all!

Peace Rider - Don

PS a photo of the banner taken in front of the Northern Environmental Center can be seen by clicking on the FB link on my blog <ridefortheplanet.blogspot.com>


No comments:

Post a Comment