Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Special Moments on the Road from Holquin, Cuba 3/19/14

I stopped at a municipal museum in San Antonio del Sur on the south coast en route to Guantanamo.  It was a rest break and ended up meeting the Director and two other women.  At the end I decided to gift them with small pins Chris and Jim H. had given me of the Alaska Flag, Walrus and State outline.  Forget I had them until then actually.

They were shirt pins but all three women decided to try them on as earrings.  They all had pierced ears and they worked.   Joy and laughter on the road.  Have some photos I will share later. 

Earlier in Baracoa on the far east coast I was returning to my Casa after a folkloric performance by the Barrumba dance group.  It was late and dark with few people on the street.  The streets are safe to walk at night.  A van stopped me to ask directions out of town.  He thought I was a local and started speaking English after he heard my Spanish.  I thought he was a foreigner but asked. He was Cuban.  Another smile. 

I had a very enjoyable visit with Amigos in Puerto Padre to the northwest of here about 35 miles.  A scenic spot in a large bay but the economy is in decline.  I have one other shorter bike ride to Gibara in the offing to revisit Ramon and Rosario the pastors there before I leave.  They are in Havana at the moment not returning until the 20th.

My last day in Holquin, the Provincial Capital will be 26 March.  Will head southeast to Bayamo to catch an overnight train to Havana the 27th.  Have to be there a day ahead of time to buy tickets the morning the train leaves.  Into Havana the 28th in the AM, fly to Miami 29 March.


There is a being wonderful perfect.  It existed before heaven and earth.
How quiet it is.
How spiritual it is.
It stands alone and it does not change.
It moves around and around but on this account does not suffer.
All life comes from it.
It wraps everything with its love as in a garment and yet claims no honor. It does   not demand to be called Lord.
I do not know its name and so I call it Tao (pronounced Dao) The Way.


by Lao Tzu before the time of the Christ by Huston Smith in World Religions.

"The Tao" is within"  Huston Smith.

Peace Rider

No comments:

Post a Comment