Thursday, April 29, 2010

On the Road from Terre Haute, IN 4/29/10


Friend (Joe) - You must be smokin' to be in Terre Haute already.

PR - Yeah, I made good time, 180 miles in three days. Must be the new tires.


F - How was Earth day in St Louis?


PR - It was great! There was a big crowd in Forest Park in spite of the rain and wind; many booths and three sound stages. I got my five minutes of "fame" on the main stage where most were distracted or doing other things. A few were listening and asked questions afterwards. Made some good contacts though.


F - Where'd you stay?


PR - I left Bill Davis' place in Wentzville and stayed with Jason and Maddie McClelland on Sunday night after Earth Day events. They were closer into town for me leaving the next day. They run a small local foods Harvest cafe and grocery not far from where they live. Jason also teaches high school math. I was well taken care of.


F - You have any problems leaving town?


PR - No, thanks to good directions Jason wrote out for me. He also bikes around town. I got turned around a bit on the other side of the Mississippi River after crossing McKinley bridge. But I got that sorted out after asking directions and found the MCT Nature trail, at least part of which is a rails to trails road bed, easy, fast going and flat.


F - What are your plans now?


PR - Head out of here today and keep on booking east on Highway 40 to Pittsburgh, hang a right on the Allegheny Passage Trail and into DC on the C&O Towpath. Maybe get there sometime between May 10 and 15. But maybe I'm repeating myself?


F - How is Highway 40?

PR - I'm enjoying it. The traffic is light which is good because the shoulders are mostly non-existent. It was the old historic national highway westward before the railroads arrived. It parallels Interstate 70.


A big thank you to my hosts in Terra Haute, Grace and Pat Walker, for taking good care of me.


F - See you down the road.


Don - Peace Rider

No comments:

Post a Comment