Wednesday, April 7, 2010

On the Road in Cawker City, KA 4/07/10

Friend (Joe) - Hey Peace Rider where you at? Haven't heard from you in awhile.

PR - Yeah, makin' miles. I had some really good mileage days out of Denver. This will be just a brief update.

F - How come?

PR - Got a late start today. A storm front passed through last night. Holed up in my tent until about noon. Wind still pretty stiff out of the north but sun came out after overcast and rain this morning.

F - Where you at now?

PR - I was passing through Cawker City, KA saw the sign for Library on the main drag and decided to stop to post an update. Cawker City is on Highway 24. I headed south off Hgy 36 at Smith Center for about 20 miles then east on 24. Been on 36 since Denver.

F - Why didn't you just stay on 36, looks shorter to me heading east?

PR - I'm headed for Herrington, KA, the beginning of the Flint Hills Nature Trail. I'm still several days away and won't make many miles today. It's gravel so will see if my skinny tired bike can make it. If not I'll detour onto a hard surface.

F - You find "Toto" anywhere?

PR - Lots of Auntie Emms but no Dorthy or Toto, this is pheasant country man!

F - So you better hit the road if you're going to make DC by the end of the month.

PR - Yeah, I suppose so. An interesting tidbit. Cawker City is home to the largest ball of sisal twine, sits outside under a roof along the main street. Started in 1953 by Frank Stober, 40" in circumference, thrift plus patience = success the sign says. Also home to a lot of rusting autos of 40's vintage and earlier.

Got to go.

F - Catch you down the road.

Peace Rider

No comments:

Post a Comment